Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Baby 4 Week 8: Thermostats, Scans, and Scales




Week 8

This little one has been pretty kind to me. I'm nauseated, but no more than I was leading up to the pregnancy... which I assume was because I had messed with the medication I was taking, Metformin. I haven't thrown up at all. I am cold most of the time but that has been a trend in my first trimesters. I decided to finally look up why that is. One source said it was my Kidney Yang... um... yeah... so I moved on sifting through threads and threads of women saying "I'm cold! Why?" and other women saying "Yeah me too!" Eventually I found a couple resources that said most pregnant women warm up because of estrogen and progesterone, but sometimes the opposite happens. We don't know why. One said that maybe the body overcompensates and cools itself extra in response. Basically... we don't know. Unless you know, please share!

What else... I have a nice little bloat bump going. Actually something weird with that... kinda...

So when I went in for my first appointment with Dr. Gilbert he used a little hand held ultrasound on my belly... and then I went in a week later for my legit ultrasound and she did an ultrasound on my belly that time too. I was only 7 weeks. I thought that early you have to do a transvaginal scan... not that I was looking forward to it. I wonder if it's because I've had so many babies now, my uterus is higher sooner? But that doesn't seem right. Maybe now I've just graduated. Thoughts?

I'm working out every day and not that this is anything new, but tracking my diet carefully. I am starting this pregnancy heavier than any other pregnancy... only a few pounds heavier than with Milo, 14 pounds heavier than with Ash and 24 pounds heavier than with Indy. But was was interesting was that even though I weighed much less with Indy, I gained sooner and more rapidly even though I was running and hadn't changed my diet. I ended up gaining more than any of my other pregnancies I believe. Usually what happens is a baby weans, I lose a bunch of weight suddenly and then I get pregnant. However I'm still breastfeeding Indy and despite running about 15 miles a week (more before races), plus strength training and eating a whole food plant based diet, the scale has not budged in a year. Oh well. Hopefully that just means I'll gain less. I usually track my weight here, but I'm unsure if I want to. I might just not worry about it. So far I have not stepped on the scale at prenatals and I think I will refuse to the entire pregnancy even if I weigh myself at home. I'm doing everything I can to be healthy, I don't need a doctor looking at me like I'm eating a dozen doughnuts for breakfast.

I'll be 9 weeks on Thursday, I'll check in again then! Thank you for reading!

What this week was like with my other pregnancies:
                             Milo, Week 8: Baby Induced Anorexia
                             Ash, Week 8: Ice Ice Baby
                             Indy, Week 8: Lion Baby

No comments:

Post a Comment