Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tap... Tap... Face Punch.


Sometimes it's in a sermon.
Sometimes it's in a song.
Sometimes it's from a fellow blogger.
Sometimes it just comes out of nowhere...

I don't know about you, but I require a certain number of face punches from life each year to keep me on track. I need to be shaken, I need "You are being an ass!" screamed in my face, and if I don't listen I need shitty things to happen to me until I do. Taps from God don't typically work... face punches do every once in a while...

I of course had to tune in to the final episode of the Oprah Winfrey Show. I wasn't overly emotional about her departure. I enjoyed the show but sometimes I thought Oprah was kinda crazy, that she pushed some obscure false spirituality, the kind people like Madonna subscribe to. But over the course of her final season I was feeling very drawn in by her. I felt myself getting little "pay attention" taps on my head and little "listen up" whispers. But... I don't do self help gurus. I don't need "Ah ha" moments. I don't need fixing... at least not til I'm broken down on the side of the road... this coming from the girl who has actually ran out of gas in front of gas stations 3 times.

This wasn't a tap... and my car didn't break down... it blew up.

“You are responsible for the energy you bring into this space.”
I am totally irresponsible with my energy. My personality is such that I get very full of myself very fast, I forget others have feelings, or if I do remember I forget I'm supposed to care. Even when I am aware of what a pain in the ass I am being, I feel that someone else is responsible for it. It's always a little embarrassing when it takes so long to really get something so obvious. I'm sure God has been trying to deliver that one to me for a while...

1 comment:

  1. Um, ditto. I think I could have written this same thing about myself. And, I am glad I have people like you...who I can trust to punch me in the face at times. :)

    ReplyDelete