Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Have Your Pie & Eat it Too

I decided this year I would make a pie, something I have never done. Since I've been on a pumpkin kick I decided to go with a pumpkin pie, and hey, why don't we do it completely from scratch... like with a pumpkin and everything.

I had no clue how much pumpkin you actually get out of a pumpkin, so I picked the biggest sugar pie pumpkin I could find, collected my ingredients... and made sure the smoke alarm had batteries.


Then I murdered the pumpkin. At one point my knife got stuck so I slammed the pumpkin on the floor, not thinking about the seed explosion that would likely follow.



Then I steamed the pumpkin in the microwave. I thought baking it would be more festive, but that takes 90 minutes and this took 10.


While the pumpkin steamed I worked on the crust. I'm always surprised by how little water it calls for and I'm always tempted to add more. I resisted.


Steamed pumpkin does not smell amazing. I held my breath, scooped and blended.



I combined my ingredients and poured it into the crust. It was much thinner than I expected, very watery. It sloshed around on the crust. Oh well. Into the oven.



Success! In the future I would use Pillsbury crust though because it tastes amazing and this crust was very meh. I'd be a little more careful about not sloshing the filling around as it burned on the crust, and I would prepare to bake five pies instead of one because that's how much pumpkin glop my pumpkin made.



Recipe:

Filling:
1 pie pumpkin
1 cup sugar
1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
3 cups cooked pumpkin
1.5 cans (12oz each) of evaporated milk

Crust:
1.5 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/6 cup COLD vegetable shortening
1/3 cup COLD butter
1/4 cup cold water

Filling: Cut pumpkin and remove seeds, you can leave the skin on. Cook, scoop, and puree. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. Preheat the oven at 425 F.

Crust: Mix the flour, sugar, salt, butter and shortening til they look like peas or little rocks. Sprinkle on the water, chill for 30 minutes or so and then roll out.

Pour the filling into the crust. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes, then bake at 350 F for 45 to 60 minutes, until a knife or toothpick inserted into the pie comes out clean.

Then, eat the whole pie, ours lasted about a day.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good! My fiance loves all things pumpkin, so I may attempt this. By the way, your oven is incredibly clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't just have to say that it looks yummy, because I KNOW that it was! Thanks for sharing some with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaysie - I had just cleaned it for the first time ever (um, I've lived here for 3 years) that day! I know, I'm gross. I actually cleaned it because I knew Amy might see the inside of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I've never felt so loved. You cleaned your oven for me? I really hope it's not because you think I'd judge you based on a dirty oven. I have personally NEVER cleaned an oven in my life. In fact, I just bought replacement drip pans for my stove for when we move out (like I do when I move out of anywhere), because I am to lazy to keep them looking nice!

    P.S. I think the outside of your oven is pretty spiffy, too!

    ReplyDelete