Monday, August 16, 2010

Sweet Potatoes Shouldn't Have This Much Control of My Evening

This is a whole blog about sweet potatoes. If you think that's stupid, don't read.

I'm a huge sweet potato fan. I like them just microwaved, cut up and roasted with olive oil, smashed, french fried, baked... I really don't think there is any wrong way to eat a sweet potato, though I'm not a big fan of the buttery mess people make of them with marshmallows, I'll still eat them like that too.

So the other day I decided to pick some up on my produce run. Now, to me it seems that sweet potatoes look different a lot of the time. They can be totally huge, small, skinny, super dark or a little lighter. So I didn't think anything of the fact that these ones were a bit lighter than what I was used to. No biggie. I got them home and began peeling them and was shocked to find that they were white inside! WTF are these? I start searching my memory making SURE the sign said sweet potato and not rutabaga or something. I jumped online and searched "white sweet potatoes."

So in case you haven't picked up on this yet, the yams vs sweet potatoes situation has always confused me. Sometimes the sign or packaging says yams, sometimes sweet potatoes, and it looks like the same thing to me. Sometimes on Thanksgiving someone asks for the yams to be passed, sometimes they say sweet potatoes. I don't get it, but I think there are bigger issues to ponder in my spare time so I've never thought much of it. Turns out there is a difference, kinda.

I know some of you may find this shocking, but the way this goes is that apparently while all yams are a type of sweet potato, not all sweet potatoes are these delicious orangy delight we've come to love. And yes now that I see them next to each other, I see how ridiculously different they are. I was a little shocked by all this new information but everything I read said they could be cooking in about the same manner so I moved forward with my chopping and seasoning.

Lies. They do not taste the same. They taste disgusting, not sweet, and are kinda dry and almost waxy. I horrible excuse for a potato. Fortunately, Eric is sick and can't taste anything so he made no objections, and Milo doesn't know any better do he ate them as well. I was very unhappy about it though, I think yams should separate themselves fully from sweet potatoes and only go by yams, or sweetER potatoes. I'd be all over that.

2 comments:

  1. I've made this mistake before.I bought (what I thought) were sweet potatoes at the store to make a great serving of sweet potato fries, and come to find out they were definitely yams. I still attempted to make fries out of them but they were nasty! I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I just hate when I've looked forward to eating something all day and then something prevents me from getting it. I can't shift gears and be like "no prob, I'll have rice instead." I'm too set on it. We should have traded potatoes because I looove yams, which I've made fries from and loved! Not my favorite form though, I made the ends too skinny so they had little burned tips.

    Anyhow, I think the government should step in and regulate produce nomenclature. How many others of us are out there? We need a voice.

    ReplyDelete