Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Who's Weaning Who?

I think breastfeeding is one of the best parts of having an infant. It's such a wonderful bonding experience, even 5, 6, 7 months later it's still special and no where near a burden. Milo, however, disagrees. Breastfeeding is a slower means of getting his food so he either gets frustrated and angry, or disinterested and distracted. Also, while I love doing it, I have not been able to lose much weight while breastfeeding. I gained 40 pounds during my pregnancy and lost 30 right away. Then another 5. The next 10 pounds I've lost and has bounced back several times over the last 5 months. Very frustrating to someone both dieting and engaging in a very vigorous workout schedule.

I talked to my doctor, and explained that I wanted to lose that last 10, then hopefully another 20-30 before my next pregnancy (well within what is healthy for my body, and very attainable with my diet plan and workout schedule). My doctor said that it's not uncommon for women to be unable to lose weight while breastfeeding no matter what they do. Hormones are to blame. So I've decided to wean since Milo could care less about breastfeeding anyway.

Turns out weaning Milo was not going to be the challenging part, it was weaning myself. Everyday I told myself "this is it, last day" and then I'd give in, because the thought of being done breastfeeding was so saddening. I told myself June 28th would be it, he'd be 8 months old and that's an age I feel comfortable with weaning him at. He's a big boy, not a tiny baby anymore, and he shows no interest or attachment to breastfeeding. It's ok...

So it's been 3 weeks and I kept with my plan. I'm still lactating some which is annoying because it just reminds me of what I'm not doing anymore. But I've lost 15 pounds so far (last 5 of pregnancy weight, then another 10), so it's been rewarding in another way. It's not about my dress size at all, I'm just thrilled to be that much closer to starting my next pregnancy at a healier weight, and then onto another wonderful breastfeeding relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment