Thursday, July 22, 2010

Baby Sway


Have I laid my family plan out to the blogosphere yet? Not sure, well here it is: Have babies, then have more babies. Repeat. Eric and I want at least 4 kids, and I would be thrilled to have up to 6. We will not be spacing.*

So Eric and I have basically been trying for Baby The Sequel ever since Milo was 3 months old. Of course I was breastfeeding full time so we knew it would be unlikely that I would get pregnant right away (but possible!). Ideally I would like my babies to all be around 18 months apart, so I best start baking one up if I want to stay on schedule. Since weaning Milo I've kicked my weight loss into high gear (I've lost 16 pounds since weaning!) and am getting as healthy as possible in anticipation of the full body assault that is being with child.

I've also jumped on the TTC (Trying To Conceive) forums on some of my favorite mommy boards and I was soon asked "Do you have a sway?" ....? ...not unless I've had a few.

Apparently that's not what they meant, they wanted to know if I was doing anything to try to conceive either a boy or a girl specifically. There is a lot to gender swaying, definitely more than I can explain in one post. In short, there are high tech methods which include a turkey baster, home microscope, and desperation. And for those who haven't quite lost all self respect and would like to conceive without the help of kitchen utensils and chemistry sets, there are diets, supplements, positions, and scheduling. Well, I'm already cloth diapering, planning on EC'ing soon, and hope to birth a basketball team naturally... I can fit a little more crazy in my life. So I decided to research how to sway for a girl.

So X & Y sperm have different characteristics (or so I've read, I haven't seen them). Y sperm were once thought to be faster than X sperm, but actually X sperm are just heavier (carrying all those extra brain cells I'm sure!) so they swim in circles (ok, maybe not brain cells) while their boy sperm brethren swim straight and therefore reach their final destination sooner. However, X sperm thrive in acidic conditions while Y sperm don't (take that boy sperm!). There are some other factors but it was enough for me to understand this much. So for a really great "girl sway" the mommy hopeful would follow a very specific diet to alter her body's pH to be as acidic as possible (as well as take supplements and do gross things with vinegar and tampons), refrain from anything that would give the Y sperm an edge (caffeine!), and choose to get it on at times and in ways that give the slow poke circle swimmers an edge. The diet goes on for weeks before hand. I was a little interested. It looked like some mothers opted for a "slight sway" meaning they were just doing some things to raise their girl or boy odds, like eliminating caffeine and lowering their sodium in take, but were choosing to steer clear of the vinegar tampons.

Another part of a girl sway was doing stuff that would mess with, and it seems would damage, the sperm. This invloves tighty whities, heating pads... stuff that are supposed to be huge conceiving don'ts! Basically, someone out there thinks that failure sperm make girls.

So... after several long nights of forum stalking and researching, I think I'm going to go ahead and loosely follow the diet (it looks pretty healthy actually, so why not) but I wont be buying Eric new underwear... OR socializing on the sway boards because some of these women are crazy obsessed with conceiving the "right" gender. I'd be happy with either a little Ash or a little Lyla, but if I can tip the scales towards having my little girl I will!



*Of course we will always reproduce responsibly and always take into account my health and our financial position.

No comments:

Post a Comment