Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"Cady, I'm a Pusher."

"Cady, I'm a pusher. I push people. I pushed my husband into law school. That was a bust. I pushed myself into working three jobs. And now I'm gonna push you because I know you're smarter than this."

I think a lot of people see themselves as the Mrs. Norbury in this scenario, not the under-achieving Cady. Not me, I'm definately the pushee.

Now I believe failures will choose to be failures, and winners choose to be winners, and where you end up rests upon your choices alone. I make good decisions... and life is good. So why am I still a pushee? I put myself in the winner bracket by my choices and attitude, but I really feel like I would only be a moderate winner if it was not for pushers. I would have grown up with a basic artistic skills that came naturally, but I had a pusher mom that kept me in art classes from elementary to high school. In high school I would have quietly gotten good grades, but I had a pusher ag teacher that pressed me to compete in everything she could enroll me in, and now I have a room of awards and 100 times the self confidance I started with.

So in opening this tanning salon I have for sure needed a pusher. Everytime there's a rock in the road I freak, because I seriously don't think I know what I'm doing. Sale Forecasts, Cash Flow, Income Differentials? I avoided the issues, not because I think we can't afford this or because I don't think we'll make enough money, but because I don't know how to prove it, or display it, or do anything to it... but my East Garrison rep is a pusher.

Each step comes with savage growing pains, everytime I'm pushed I freak out... but I want this, bad, so I forced the limits of what I may or may not be capable of. I put together what numbers I thought worked... numbers that scared the fuck outa me... wanna be freaked out too?

First Year Sales Forecast: $80,000
Second Year Sales Forecast: $120,000
Third Year Sales Forecast: $180,000

That's what my calculations tell me... that does NOT seem possible, but I don't know... is that too much money? Is that conservative? Regardless, I had a formula behind it so if my rep laughed in my face (which I fully expected) at least I would have a stack of paper to hide behind.

My final business plan for Kona Cove Tanning Salon & Spa is set up like a really nice scrapbook: 12X12 pages, fancy paper, lots of photos, paint swatches, water color design sketches, logos... everything needed to get a realistic view of what Kona Cove will look like and how it will function. Last night, after another all-nighter, I finished it. This morning, after two large mochas, I submitted it. I met with Ryan and expected to hand it over, exchange small talk, and go... Nope, Ryan was going to look over it all infront of me. Awesome. He opened it and was really impressed with my work and the presentation, I was glad, but there were still 30 pages between him and my Sales Forecast.

Page 27, Financial Preparations Narrative. He's impressed. Maybe he'll be so impressed he'll stop here... oh... nope, page turn.
Page 28, Personal Net Worth & Income Differential. There's a chart, charts are good, people love charts. I'm glad I included that chart... new page.
Page 29, Start-up & Operation Costs... lots of praise, I did a good job padding my expenses and leaving room for surprises and errors... but I'm sweating.

Page 30, Quarterly Sales Forecasts for First 3 Yrs.

"Cori I don't mean to sound condescending, but I'm very proud of you. This is an excellent financial model, however I think your Sales Forecasts are a little low, but that's smart, play it on the safe side. Great job, really."

Talk about a rush! Now I literally don't have to do ANYTHING but wait for an answer... which is surprisingly not stressful. I think this will go well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment