Friday, December 14, 2007

The Alchemist

I have decided that I don't care too much about what people think of me... my greatest challenge is dealing with how other people think of others, and THAT being applied to me. I've wanted to post this passage for a while, but what stops me is all the little mockingbirds that write these beautiful, lovely blogs... but they are all fake. The little mirrors that know how to perfectly reflect a love that they don't actually know. I'm afraid their lies will be applied to me, though I really do have something perfect, what we were meant to have. I'd hate for that to be likened to, and mistook as anything near what they claim they have... or had. But I must post this, I've been putting it off but I have to share, mockingbirds be damned.

I started out hating this book. I came by it on a recommendation from Meredith, and I was shocked but it's dull simplicity... not what I expected from her at all! I covered the first 70 pages in an evening. Then suddenly, a book about a Spanish shepherd on a journey through Egypt became about a girl with previously no faith in love or a plan who comes to give her entire life to both. Suddenly the book was about me... and right on in it's delivery.

This is what I want to share with you... it's a passage that makes for a turning point in the character, just as I had sitting next to Eric one night talking about God and love and a plan. If you've never had one of those moments where the fog is lifted and the world makes perfect, clear sense... I'm so sorry. It's amazing when your life finally snaps into focus, never to blur again.

Anyhow... this is from The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho:
"She smiled, and certainly that was an omen--the omen he had been awaiting, without even knowing he was, for all his life. It was the pure language of the world. It required no explanation, just as the universe needs none as it travels through endless time. What the boy felt at that moment was that he was in the presence of the only woman in his life, and that, with no need for words, she recognized the same thing. He was more certain of it than anything in the world. He had been told by his parents and grandparents that he must fall in love and really know the person before becoming committed. But maybe people who felt that way have never learned the universal language. Because, when you know that language, it is easy to know that someone in the world awaits you, whether it's in the middle of the desert or in a great city. And when two such people encounter each other, and their eyes meet, the past and future become unimportant. There is only that moment, and the incredible certainty that everything under the sun has been written by one hand only. It is the hand that evokes love, and creates a twin soul for every person in the world."
I hope the shepherd boy get's to come home to his desert girl... and live every day and night as blissfully as Eric and I are. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment