Friday, April 20, 2007

Vintage Marriage

I was thinking about how summer is coming and that means wedding season. I was thinking of all the women who are coming into the tanning salon to get tan so they look good on their wedding days and how flustered so many of them seem. I was sitting here listening to interviews done by this company called Story Corps, most of them elderly people talking about their spouses, and it just made me hope that some of these women can get over the hype of one day and prepare their souls, not just their skin. There's a lot of weddings, but I fear there are not enough marriages, and it's really too bad. Here's a few passages that I hope you find inspiring, evidence that what some of us still strive for, exists.

"I couldn't imagine how i was going to live in a world that didn't have him in it, but life has a way of demanding you live it... i hope that you are going to find somebody that you can love as completely as i loved herman, because there is nothing in the world that's as wonderful as two people in love, there's nothing better."
nora percival, 91. husband died when she was 24.


"When we first got married I said 'I want to have a lot of children because I want you to populate the Earth, I think that would make it a better place...' and it was a love affair until the day he died and I'll never... never get over him."
- Florence Aaron

"She said 'Claire cannot conceive,' but she had never made Claire aware of this, and she wanted to know if I was still going to marry her anyhow, and I said 'Yes, I am ready to marry her anyhow'... then she asked 'How we would tell Claire?' and I said that I'd tell her myself, on our wedding night, and that's what happened... I had true love for her... and since she's died I find myself floundering trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life."
William Jacobs

"When you get married you know how your dad walks you down or your brother walks you down, well when we got married she didn't know which brother to pick because she didn't want to offend anyone, so she said 'I got a solution... you walk in with me, you walk out with me.' So the other day I asked her '[when I die] who are you going to have walk down the aisle with you behind the casket?' you know, to support her, and she said 'nobody, I walked in with you alone and I'm walking out with you alone.'"
Danny and Annie Perasa

"You know I've always said the only thing I have to give you is a poor gift and that's myself, but I gave it everyday, and if there's a way for me to come back and give it I'll do that too... when a guy is happily married, no matter what happens at work no matter what happens with the rest of the day, there's always a shelter, there's knowledge that you can come home and hug someone without them throwing you down the stairs and saying 'Get your hands off me,' you know, being married is like having a color television set, once you have it you never want to go back to black and white."
Danny Perasa. February 16th 2006, 8 days before passing away leaving behind his wife, Annie.

No comments:

Post a Comment